Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jenny & Terry: The Beginning...

Hi!

My name is Jenny, this is me:

This is Terry, she is my amazing new trailer:

The picture used in the advertisment for Terry

Terry parked on my parent's property

Peak-a-boo, I see Terry!

And this folks--- is my blog: Trailer Trash Jenny. For due to a series of events, the girl who was once too proud to live in an apartment in Washougal---has moved into a trailer.
  • A trailer that is parked on my parent’s yard.
  • A trailer that is parked on the backend of the property because my Mom is ashamed of it's existence.
  • A trailer with a classy blue tarp pulled over the side to protect her from the rain.
  • A trailer that’s been painted completely gray on the inside, has a camping “odor”, and was built 6 years before I was even born.
But Terry is not simply just a trailer or just my new apartment; Terry is both my savior and solution…. “why?” you might ask yourself. Well let me explain:

I’ve always felt like I was different from the norm, a rebel at heart---I’ve never been one to follow the crowd. I like to think of myself as an uncommon girl in a common world and that my attitude and experiences set me apart. I’m a strong independent woman---I just couldn’t possibly be “typical”!!!

(insert: dramatic gasp here)

Alas, I am.

(and now the long sigh...)

Like most Americans, I have debt. For what my income is, I feel that I’m pretty accurate in saying: I have mounds and mounds of debt.

I’m not ashamed of my debt though. I’m not going to cower in the corner and not speak of it in embarrassment. I acknowledge what I've racked up and recognize that it's helped make me who I am today. I’m proud that $8k in debt was all that I had to assume when I left my ex-husband ($8k in exchange for freedom---what a small price to pay). I’m proud that I cared more about experiencing life than being financially responsible and tacked on another $4k while backpacking in Italy. I’m happy that I enjoyed splurging during my trip, even though forced me to borrow another $2,500 against my checking account when I returned.

So yes, I sit here today, with over fourteen thousands dollars in debt (oh, that’s not including what I owe on my beautiful car…but we'll save that topic for another time...). I’m debt---but it’s going to be OK. Money is simply a value we assign to a piece of paper, it's not everything.

I’m not naïve though, as idealistic as I’d like to be-- I do recognize that this value on paper is so high--- that people will do just about anything to get it. I realize that to at least some degree, that everyone spends their life built around earning it, spending it, and stressing over it (myself included). Yes, money is important---I will give you that.

Now my father is the type of man who believes your finances should be kept to yourself. In fact, he reminds me of this all of the time (Yes...I KNOW Dad!!!). He’d prefer I keep my personal life to myself and thinks I’m foolish for blogging about it---but again, I’m just not the kind of person to go with the norm. On top of that, it is almost physically impossible for me not to discuss my life with the world.

Jenny, being quiet?!?!? HAHAHAAAAAA

(loud laughs here, for isn’t that a really funny thought!)

I returned from Europe last month with an expiring lease, a negative bank account, and no where to live. I might not be ashamed of my debt, but that doesn’t mean I want to hang on to it. I’m not trying to play the“highest number wins” game. Debt limits our ability to pursue our dreams and I want to get out from under mine. I might be with okay with the choices that got me $14k under, but I'm not okay with staying here or even worse---getting into more in debt. So with the amazing support and understanding from my parents, I decided to return home 6 years after graduating from high school. I made the decision to move home in order to both significantly lower my debt and to figure out where I want to go next. BUT---moving home wasn't quite so simple, there was a major problem...

“Problem shown below”, Kudos and Harley (aka: the boys):


I've got two beautiful tabby cats that I would never give up... but also have parents that do not want cats in their home. As there is no end of the earth that I would not go to in order to provide for my cats, I spent a couple weeks trying to figure out how I could both keep them safe on five wooded acres and out of my parents house.

My solution: Find something I can live with them in.....

(drum roll please....)

A trailer! It's GENIUS!

So now we're back to the beginning...

Indeed this is the beginning a new chapter of my life. A new chapter where I will be spending the next several months residing in a trailer that I've named Terry, a few months pinching every penny, nickle, and dime, a few months trying to get my head out of the water and out of debt--so I can move forward in my life. I plan on fully embracing this new life and all that comes with it. Becoming trailer trash has bound to have some adventures and good stories, I hope to use this blog to capture the amazing journey ahead!

Ciao!

(Oh wait, I can't be sophiscated here...what would be a trashy sign off?!!?)

Probably none... so I'll end by slaming my duct taped trailer door for the night...


:P

8 comments:

  1. Your Jenny and Terry days will be memorable. You'll be telling your grandchildren about it. "I went to Europe when I was just barely old enough to drink. When I got back I lived in a trailer in the woods and every night I had to chase off bears and mountain lions because they could smell me through the walls and knew that I would be a tasty meal for them. Those were the best days of my life!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, I love how you are just going with it. I too had a revelation about my debt the other day. I choose not to give it more energy than it deserves and not let it stand in my way of what I want my life to be. Very freeing I have to admit. I love reading your blogs, I miss you and we should talk soon!
    I love you.
    Jenelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. Glad to here you are embracing it. Can't wait to see it when we get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are way too cool, Jennifer! Your life in the trailer will be a trip you'll never forget!! I love it ... I absolutely love it! And before you know it, your debt will be all gone, and you'll have that same feeling of freedom you had in Italia ... well, almost. There is just something about Italy, I agree. And it can't be explained, it must be experienced.

    Your e-mail about this blog reminded me that I hadn't followed your online journey while you were in Roma, so I just took some time to look through your travels. What a blast! I had to laugh at your picture of all the gelato ... I took the same kind of photo. Love, love, love gelato! I never had lemon cello while I was there, but a sister-in-law recently went to Italy and returned home with some. It's awesome. My other sister-in-law said she thought it tasted like TheraFlu, but I didn't think so. I think you can buy it around here somewhere, because my father-in-law's girlfriend got him some for Valentine's Day. I know she really had to shop around to come up with it. I can find out and let you know, if you like.

    I enjoyed your entry on faith, God and "where do we go from here." Those are good questions, all. The fact that you know He is with you is all that matters, though, in the end. All I know is that "His mercies are new every morning." And every night when I go to bed, I am so thankful that He was with me through the day, and that He was willing to shed His blood for me, an undeserving sinner who deserves only His wrath. I guess that's a good Easter thought. :)

    Well, take care, bella Jenn. And let me know when you have time to get together sometime. It would be great to catch up!

    Take care!!!! That trailer is just way too cool ... Hey, we could always do a cup of Starbucks on your trailer deck? I'll buy ... and deliver!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh i fuckin love it, id enjoy getting a trailor and living on my parents property...just to piss them off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh. I think I'm at $14,500 and I don't have a car to show for it. I'll race ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is hilarious! From dirty hippy traveling the world to trailer trash camping in mom and dad's yard (kidding of course)!!! Your life is quite the adventure. I love it!

    Seriously though... it is great that you are trying to eliminate your debt before it becomes too much to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer - This is the most hilarious post I've ever seen! I'm with Ashley - I love your sense of adventure, whether it be backpacking in Italy or living in the back of your parent's house. Tell your mom & dad hello for me!!! Debi

    ReplyDelete